It’s always tough trying to pick my favorite albums of the year. The biggest problem is the sheer amount of music I listen to in a given year. By December it’s difficult to remember what I was listening to in January and February. This year it was even tougher since my main computer crashed over the summer and since then I haven’t listened to most of the stuff from the first half of the year, opting instead to only listen to newer albums for the most part.
There were a few clear favorites this year, like any other year, and then some which got off to a fast start but quickly fell by the wayside.
My top four in alphabetical order — these got the most listens this year. According to iTunes, about 30 listens each and probably the same amount in winamp!
- Sure Juror – Sure Juror
I saw them at Pianos where they played a ridiculously short four song set but they rocked it anyway. Wish their upcoming NYC shows coincided with my trip next month…
- The Format – Dog Problems
Indie pop at its very best.
- The Long Winters – Putting the Days to Bed
No, wait.. THIS is indie pop at its very best!
- The Thermals – The Body, The Blood, The Machine
Saw them at Fontana’s in NYC and again in Zurich. Of my top four, these guys rock the hardest.
And the rest:
- Barenaked Ladies – Are Me
- Cansei de Ser Sexy – CSS
- Hot Chip – The Warning
- I’m From Barcelona – Let Me Introduce My Friends
- Lupe Fiasco – Food & Liquor
- Sean Lennon – Friendly Fire
- Silversun Pickups – Carnavas
- Tokyo Police Club – A Lesson in Crime (EP)
Late breaking favorites, because I found them so late in the game…
- Matt and Kim – Matt and Kim
- Showstar – Showstar
And finally, the best albums from 2007 which leaked this year:
- Of Montreal – Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
- The Shins – Wincing the Night Away
And there was so much more good music this year, I just can’t list it all. According to my iTunes library, I have about 120 albums from 2006 and that’s not even counting all the stuff on my desktop at home! Now to make room for the year ahead…